Haiti’s Lamothe sues US newspaper for defamation
by Jennifer Kay, Associated Press
September 12, 2012 04:25 PM | 495 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
MIAMI (AP) — Haiti’s prime minister has sued a Haitian-American weekly newspaper for defamation over its reporting on the sale of a telecommunications company acquired by the Haitian government.

In the lawsuit filed Monday in Miami federal court, Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe and South Florida businessman Patrice Baker said Haiti-Observateur’s reporting on the sale of Haitel was “outrageous, scandalous and reminiscent of a tabloid publication.”

The Haitian telecom shut down earlier this year because it couldn’t pay its debts. It was then acquired by the Haitian government.

A message left Wednesday for Leo Joseph, a Haiti-Observateur reporter named in the lawsuit along with the Brooklyn, N.Y.-based newspaper, was not immediately returned.

In an article written in French for Haiti-Observateur’s Sept. 12 edition, Joseph said Lamothe has not answered questions about the sale, though the prime minister has “cried ‘defamation’ accusing Leo Joseph and the weekly of spreading lies against him.”

The newspaper has been publishing since 1971 and serves Haiti’s large diaspora communities in New York, Florida, Montreal and the Caribbean. On its website, the paper says it has a weekly circulation of 75,000.

According to the lawsuit, most of the paper’s online readership comes from Florida, which is home to the largest Haitian-American population in the U.S.

“The newspaper spread false information about the prime minister and we are taking legal measures to request that they be retracted or appropriate remedy is given,” said Salim Succar, special adviser to Lamothe.

Haiti-Observateur published articles in August and early September that “began to spread false and defamatory statements” about Lamothe’s and Baker’s roles in Haitel’s sale, the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit said that the newspaper falsely and maliciously reported that Lamothe and Baker orchestrated Haitel’s sale, and that Lamothe fixed Haitel’s $25 million sale price and stands to receive the “lion’s share” of the proceeds.

Haiti-Observateur repeated the false and defamatory statements after Lamothe and Baker requested a retraction, according to the lawsuit.

The Haiti-Observateur articles implicate Lamothe and Baker in illegal business practices, racketeering, corruption and conspiracy, which has damaged their reputations in their political and business communities, the lawsuit said.

Lamothe, a former telecommunications executive, took office in May, filling a nearly three-month vacancy after President Michel Martelly’s first prime minister resigned after just four months on the job.

———

Associated Press writer Trenton Daniel in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, contributed to this report.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides