Paige Copeland, left, cries as her father, Andy Copeland, speaks about her sister, Aimee, who remains in critical condition at Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta on Thursday after contracting a devastating bacterial infection known as necrotizing fasciitis last week. Doctors say the young woman battling the flesh-decaying bacteria she contracted after a zip line accident will lose her hands and remaining foot to the infection. But Aimee Copeland’s father says the 24-year-old college student is improving.
The Associated Press
AUGUSTA — Doctors say a young woman fighting a flesh-decaying bacteria she contracted after a zip line accident will lose her hands and remaining foot to the disease.
But Aimee Copeland’s father says the 24-year-old college student is improving.
Andy Copeland told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Thursday his daughter is “coherent and alert.” Doctors treating her at an Augusta hospital say there is no indication of any brain damage and that her lungs are slowly healing, but her hands and remaining foot will have to be amputated. Copeland cut her leg after falling from a homemade zip line last Tuesday.
The University of West Georgia graduate psychology student was diagnosed Friday with necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating bacteria that destroys human tissue. She lost most of her right leg to the infection.