The council reviewed staff's recommendation to request the state Department of Transportation to award a bid to JHC for the Hickory Flat Highway improvements for $850,000 and to award the bid to Georgia Development Partners to perform the Waleska Street improvements for $1.5 million.
The federal government will match 80 percent and city will fund the remaining 20 percent of the project.
The council could consider the bids as early as its June 16 meeting.
Council members also reviewed a proposed resolution that would call for voters to consider a referendum on retail Sunday alcohol sales in the city limits. The resolution will be considered during the City Council's June 16 meeting.
Canton is the latest city to consider allowing residents to vote on retail Sunday alcohol sales. The cities of Ball Ground, Holly Springs and Woodstock have already passed resolutions to call for voters to consider the matter.
The Cherokee County Board of Commissioners has yet to take up the matter and the cities of Waleska and Nelson have not indicated if they will consider resolutions.
The council also reviewed a proposed ordinance to revise its alcohol ordinance, which brings the city's fines and penalties in line with court-issued fines and reduces the city's food-to-alcohol ratio to 50 percent.
Council also reviewed an ordinance to create an electronic record keeping system at city pawn shops; an ordinance to enforce buffers around the Hickory Log Creek Reservoir and an ordinance to enforce the Georgia Safe Boating Act at the reservoir.
It also directed City Manager Scott Wood and City Attorney Bobby Dyer to draft a policy regulating the use of City Hall to residents. Council members also discussed whether it should turn on pedestrian lights throughout the city.
The council met in closed session to discuss personnel matters.
Councilman Jack Goodwin was not present.