Cherokee Schools Superintendent Frank Petruzielo released a letter this week outlining the steps being taken to keep students cool during bus rides and extracurricular activities.
According the letter:
* School administrators will work to minimize the time students sit in the bus during loading and departure.
* Students will be allowed to bring bottled water on the buses until temperatures cool down.
* All of the school system’s special education buses now have air conditioning.
* The school system has retrofitted 119 of its 364 school buses with air conditioning. Air-conditioned buses will be assigned to the longest routes in the county.
* Schools with non-air conditioned gymnasiums will be allowed to purchase floor fans.
* School administrators and athletic directors will receive email notifications of smog alerts in the area.