The Cherokee County School District and Board of Education honored the class of 2012 valedictorians and salutatorians during the 12th annual Scholar Recognition Banquet Thursday evening at Woodmont Golf and Country Club.
The honorees and their favorite teachers are:
* Cherokee High School valedictorian Elisabeth Bradley and her teacher, Rebecca Coury, and salutatorian Madeline Landman and her teacher, Heather Smith;
* Creekview High School valedictorian Alexandra Webb and her teacher, Cleve Ard, and salutatorian Cody Blackwell and his teacher, Todd Sharrock;
* Etowah High School valedictorian Megan Emery and her teacher, Kevin Wall, and salutatorian Andrew Hughes and his teacher, John Murnan;
* Sequoyah High School valedictorian Abigail Riddle and her teacher, Andy Kohler, and salutatorian Kristin White and her teacher, Marla Hooper;
* Woodstock High School valedictorian Tracie Dinh and her teacher, Sonja Green, and salutatorian Krishan Patel and his teacher, Krista Webb.
“I commend our valedictorians and salutatorians for their outstanding academic success and wish them all the best as they pursue higher education and careers,” said Superintendent Dr. Frank Petruzielo. “Their achievements are not only a testament to these students’ dedication, but also a point of pride for their teachers and the school district as a whole.”
The students and teachers were congratulated by Board of Education members and each student received an iPad, $50 gift card, plaque and handcrafted commemorative mug. Each teacher received a plaque and $100 grant for classroom supplies. The gifts were made possible by donations from event sponsors.
The banquet featured speeches by the honorees and their favorite teachers, the presentation of gifts and a buffet dinner.
Dr. Brian Hightower, Assistant Superintendent for School Operations, and Barbara Jacoby, director of Public Information, Communications and Partnerships, presided, with greetings by School Board Chairman Mike Chapman and an invocation by Trey Olson, Assistant Superintendent for Personnel Management.
The iPads were presented by Bobby Blount, Assistant Superintendent of Accountability, Technology and Strategic Planning.