The commission approved a request from House 81 Eleven, LLC to rezone 3.28 acres at 8111 Bells Ferry Road near Canton from agricultural to office-professional. The property would be used for professional offices.
The board also approved a request from Pamela Fussell to rezone 3.62 acres at 182 Pope Drive near Canton from agricultural to R-40 residential. Proposed usage for the property is for residential.
Commissioners also appointed David Pitts to the Cherokee County Airport Authority to replace Mike Nixon, who recently resigned, and approved bringing on the Atlanta-based McKenna, Aldridge and Long law firm to represent them in court concerning the Ball Ground Recycling bankruptcy case.
The board also approved scheduling a public hearing for the next available date to consider an appeal of a denial by the Zoning Board of Appeals of a variance request of Michael Jorge of Ridgeline Homes, LLC.
The applicant originally requested a reduction in front and rear building setbacks to help expedite the construction of two homes on lot 118 in the Belmont Trace subdivision off Bells Ferry Road near Towne Lake.
The board denied that request and now the applicant is appealing to the board for just the reduction of the rear setback to build only one home.
The board also:
* Announced the county has a new cooperative extension agent. Louise Estabrook will transfer from north Fulton and will start in Cherokee County on Sept. 1;
* Heard from Richard Mauldin, who urged the county to put out to bid plans to build baseball fields on county property near Kenny Askew Park;
n Heard from resident Thomas Weaver, who thanked the board for working with him;
* Approved accepting a grant awarded for Americans with Disabilities Acts improvements from the Office of Secretary of State to the Cherokee County Elections Office in the amount of $618 to make striping and signage repairs at the BridgeMill polling precinct;
* Approved the fiscal year 2013 Department of Human Resources contract, which supports the county’s rural transportation program in the amount of $169,665.53;
* Approved renewing the annual contract with the Atlanta Regional Commission and approved the fiscal year 2013 ARC budget for $651,106;
* Approved a renegotiated contract with Thyssen Krupp Elevator Corporation in the amount of $45,909.36;
n Approved expanding Lewis Park to include all U.S. Army Corps of Engineers property south of East Bells Ferry Road;
* Approved revisions to the county’s Athletic Use Policy, which changes the policy in which organizations with at least 85 percent of their participants must reside in the county will get top priority and the discounted rate;
* Approved revisions to the Youth Athletic Association’s manual, which informs volunteers of their responsibilities of child abuse reporting under Georgia law;
* Approved awarding a request for proposal to DSI Medical Services, Inc as the county’s third party administrator for substance screening services for $ $7,697; and
* Approved setting a public hearing date for July 24 to consider changes to the county’s cemetery preservation ordinance.