Twitter hands over records in NY Occupy case
by Associated Press Wire
September 14, 2012 12:30 PM | 462 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
NEW YORK (AP) — Twitter has handed over about three months’ worth of an Occupy Wall Street protester’s tweets to a judge in a criminal trial.

The social networking site had been threatened with steep fines if it did not comply with Judge Matthew Sciarrino Jr.’s order earlier this summer to turn over the records in the case of Malcolm Harris.

The tweets were handed over Friday.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office says Harris’ messages could show whether he was aware of the police orders he’s charged with disregarding. The case involved a protest at the Brooklyn Bridge last fall.

Twitter had said the case could put it in the position of having to take on legal fights that users could otherwise conduct on their own.

Harris’ trial begins in December. He has pleaded not guilty.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides