A task force was formed in January at the request of Gov. Nathan Deal after 44 children and 10 adults at an Atlanta elementary school were sickened in a carbon monoxide leak.
The group's recommendations were released Wednesday.
Gretchen Corbin, commissioner of the Department of Community Affairs, says the group found requiring detectors in schools might not always be the best solution since many newer ones have electric heating and limited risk.
The group is urging schools to evaluate potential risks and develop a plan of action if needed, including replacing equipment or installing a carbon monoxide detection system.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.