The Board of Education will consider contract proposals for the replacement school building, set to begin construction this month.
The Dean Rusk Middle School replacement is part of the district’s Five-Year Facility Plan for new/replacement schools, additions and renovations, and funds for the project were approved by the board as part of the 2013-14 Capital Outlay Budget, the agenda item states.
The new Dean Rusk Middle School project follows other district projects, including the replacement E.T. Booth Middle School that was completed in 2013 and the replacement Teasley Middle School, which is under construction and estimated for completion by August this year, according to information released in January.
Board members received the proposal bids for review, and a vote to award a construction contract was put on the agenda for Thursday’s meeting.
The meeting will start at 7 p.m. at the historic Canton High School Board Auditorium, at 111 Academy St. in Canton.
Also at the meeting, the board will:
• Vote to approve a proclamation declaring Feb. 17 as PTA Day in Cherokee County Schools;
• Recognize Mike Baker as State AAAA and Region 7-AAAA Athletic Director of the Year;
• Recognize Christine Lauer as Georgia Science Teacher’s Association’s 2014 High School Science Teacher of the Year;
• Recognize 2013-14 Regional Middle School Academic Bowl winners;
• Recognize 2013-14 District Honor and All-State Band and Orchestra members;
• Consider the superintendent’s recommendation to approve a partnership agreements with Aramark Management Services and with Optimist Clubs of Canton and Towne Lake;
• Take a final vote on revisions to board policy regarding board meeting agendas;
• Consider approval of an update on capital outlay projects;
• And consider modifying the 2014-15 and 2015-16 school calendars to facilitate scheduling for high school graduations.