Moore wins District 22 runoff
by Joshua Sharpe
February 04, 2014 09:40 PM | 3535 views | 2 2 comments | 26 26 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Candidate Sam Moore and Adam Prather, on behalf of candidate Meagan Biello, wave to cars passing by a voting precinct in Free Home early Tuesday evening. <br>Staff/Todd Hull
Candidate Sam Moore and Adam Prather, on behalf of candidate Meagan Biello, wave to cars passing by a voting precinct in Free Home early Tuesday evening.
Staff/Todd Hull
slideshow
CANTON — Sam Moore is state House District 22’s next representative, after edging out Meagan Biello in a runoff for the seat Tuesday.

Moore, a Macedonia resident, bested Biello by 406 votes in the three-county race, with 1,519 votes, or 57.7 percent of the 2,632 votes cast, unofficial results showed Tuesday night. Biello, a Creekview High teacher, got the remaining 42.3 percent, with 1,113 of the votes cast for the seat covering parts of Cherokee, Forsyth and Fulton counties.

Moore said Tuesday night he was ready to go to the Gold Dome as soon as possible and get to work for the district.

“I’m pleased,” said Moore, 37, a former computer industry worker. “The volunteers, they worked super hard; I’ve worked hard. Judging by the results, voters seem to like the message of freedom and liberty and the fight against corruption.”

Moore also led the four-candidate special election Jan. 7, which resulted in the runoff Tuesday, with 38 percent of the vote.

Biello, who made it into the runoff by just two votes, said she was grateful to her supporters.

“Of course, we still think I’m the better candidate. … But we know God has a plan,” said Biello, a 32-year-old Ball Ground resident. “Our team worked very hard.”

Biello has previously said she planned to run again in the May primary if she lost Tuesday. After hearing the results Tuesday night, she said she would take the coming days and make a firm decision one way or another about making another bid for the seat.

Biello and Moore were squaring off to complete the term of the late state Rep. Calvin Hill (R-Canton), who died in late October, after a bout with leukemia. Qualifying for the next election will be in March.

“We just look forward to what the future holds,” Biello said, adding that she wanted to congratulate Moore for a well-run campaign.

In Cherokee County, Moore beat out Biello by about 12 percent, with 1,285 votes to her 1,026. Forsyth County’s unofficial results showed an even wider margin in Moore’s favor, 74 percent of the 282 going his way. Moore took home 64 percent of the vote in Fulton County with 25 votes, while Biello took 14 votes.

After the ballots were counted Tuesday night, Cherokee elections supervisor Janet Munda remarked on what she called the good turnout that was actually better than the regular election Jan. 7.

“I’m very impressed,” she said. “You very rarely see that in a runoff election. Not a bad turnout.”

Comments
(2)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
Juan Kotter
|
February 04, 2014
Congrats, Mr. Moore!

To the dustbin of election history you go, Ms. Biello. And take your dirty politics and borderline-illegal district involvement with you.

Hopefully this will teach the school district to focus on education, not politics. From the superintendent's illegal campaign against Amendment 1 (fail) to its clandestine backing of loser candidate Dwight Pullen (fail) to using district emails to endorse Biello (fail)...having the district support you is an electoral kiss of death!!
jp4ga
|
February 05, 2014
I am a teacher in the county and did not get any political emails from Dr. P. What I did get was emails reminding us of the election and that we should all vote. NO MENTION of any candiate.
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides