Suspect: 'I should be punished' for 6-year-old's slaying
by Russ Bynum
Associated Press Writer
October 02, 2009 01:00 AM | 902 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
BRUNSWICK - A Georgia man on trial for molesting and slaying a 6-year-old boy says "I should be punished" after looking at photos of the boy's dead body in a videotaped police interview shown in court Thursday.

David Edenfield, 61, faces the death penalty if convicted of the March 2007 slaying of Christopher Michael Barrios, whose body was found in a trash bag dumped near a road.

On the second day of Edenfield's trial, jurors watched the second hour of a taped interview the suspect gave to a Glynn County police detective the day after Christopher's body was found.

On the tape, Edenfield says he and his wife watched their son, 34-year-old George Edenfield, strip the boy and force him to have sex on a bed in their mobile home while the child pleaded for them to stop.

"It's my fault. I should've been a grown man and stopped it right then, but I didn't," the elder Edenfield tells detective Raymond Sarro on the tape. "I should be punished for the crime."

Edenfield said his son started choking Christopher after the boy cried out "I'm going tell my daddy and grandma!"

Instead of stopping his son from killing the boy, Edenfield says he placed his own hands on top of his son's while they were around Christopher's neck.

"I put my hands on his hands, but I did not squeeze," Edenfield says on the recording. "I just wanted to see what it would feel like, I guess."

"What what felt like?" Sarro asked.

Edenfield replied: "To choke somebody."

James Yancey, one of Edenfield's lawyers, said as the trial opened Wednesday that the taped confession was influenced by the police interrogators, but stopped short of telling jurors his client was coerced. Defense attorneys had not yet had a chance to cross-examine Sarro, who was scheduled to return to the witness stand Thursday afternoon.

Edenfield is the first suspect to stand trial in the slaying. His son and wife, Peggy Edenfield, have also been charged with molesting and killing the boy, then hiding his body. The jury was selected from residents who live 90 miles away because of pretrial publicity, and the jurors are being sequestered in Brunswick.

Christopher lived in a Brunswick mobile home park where his father and grandmother had homes. He would pass the Edenfields' trailer when walking between them.

The Edenfields moved into the mobile home park where the boy lived just a few months before his death. The family had been forced to move because George Edenfield was a convicted child molester. The family's previous home was close to a playground, a violation of Georgia's sex offender registry law.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides