Cherokee County Fire and Emergency Services responded to the fire at 9:15 a.m. on Tuesday at Hickory Hills Drive in the Bradshaw Farm neighborhood.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they saw flames and heavy black smoke coming from the two-story brick house.
Two women, ages 20 and 23, were inside the house when the fire started.
The 23-year-old said she lit a candle at about 2 a.m. and later fell asleep. She said she woke up feeling the heat from the fire and saw flames in front of her.
She yelled to her younger sister, and they both escaped without injury. They went to a neighbor's house to call 911.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and according to Lt. Robby Kennedy, the majority of the damage was on the second-story level.
A cat that was inside the home died as a result of the fire.
Both lanes of Hickory Hills Drive were blocked until the fire was extinguished.